Saturday, June 14, 2008

Today. Day 46.

I'll write a real blog with pictures tomorrow, but I thought I should do this while I had a moment.
Firstly, a girl from the BYU track team, one that I worked closely with daily, was killed in a car accident on the 6th, and I just found out last night. Chelsi was one of the happiest people I have ever met, and she always had the biggest smile for me. I was the trainer that did her physical when she walked on, and I worked on her various injuries every week. It's strange, I knew that I wouldn't see her again, cuz I graduated, but it is so different knowing that she is not there anymore. But I know that she is in a better place, and that all things happen for a reason. My thoughts and prayers are with her parents, her teammates, and her boyfriend James, who is on his misison overseas.
Secondly, and far more happily, I wanted to document some things that I will miss very much from England.
1) Fanta Fruit Twist. Heaven carbonated and bottled.
2) Mint Magnum Ice Cream Bars....... heaven in ice cream form on a stick
3) Lilt. It's like Fresca, only there is PINEAPPLE in it too! Refreshing, exhilirating, and yes, heaven.
4) Ginger beer. NOT ale. Beer. It has this fantastic kick at the end that just shocks you every time. Not sure if this is heaven or not, but it is dang good!
5) PASTRIES! Nobody, but nobody, does pastries like the Brits. Krispy Kreme ain't got nothin on the amazing not-so-good-for-you-but-so-good-for-you breaded wonders of the world. HEAVEN!
6) Chocolate that is rich and warm and lovely and sweet and.....not American. Again, heaven.
7) Starbucks. Yes, I KNOW we have Starbucks all over the place at home, but it is SOOOO not the same. One thing: Flavored hot chocolate. Heaven.
8) McDonalds. Don't freak out, I haven't lost my mind. But the McDonalds here are more like cafes than anything else. They are clean, they are nicely furnished and painted, and they are fun to just sit in. Probably not heaven, but next time you are sitting in those crappy plasticky chairs in a McDonalds in Hometown, U.S.A, remember how it could be.
9) Nutella. Ok, ok, I can get that at home, too, but still. It was something special to me here, and at home it will just be another guilty pleasure. But those peanut butter/nutella sandwiches at 8:30..... mmmmm, heaven.
10) Jelly Babies. They are these little gummy things with some sugary dusting on them, and they are kinda like marshmellow-y but not, and.......you know what? I can't describe them. But they are amazing. Like heaven.

Right, so I only mentioned food. What do you want, it's me. Naturally I'll miss more, but the food was the most important, and I will write a really sappy goodbye message next week when I am leaving. And don't think I am biased about all of these foods either. The rating of 'heaven' is a great honor that is rarely bestowed.........ok, maybe not. But you don't know any better, so there!

No comments: