Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tales of a Very Long Car Trip

After 9 hours in a 2005 Ford Taurus with my parents, I have arrived in Omaha, Nebraska, having felt enriched and a better American. After all, I had never been through Iowa, and never set foot in Nebraska, and now I have. Illinois and Indiana were nice, as well, and I am amazed at the differences in color between here and in the UK. The landscape is not SO different--a bit more hills and trees--but the color of said landscape is vastly different. The UK manages to have more vibrancy, and our colors of pastures and wildflowers and such is more pale. I don't mean to degrade our beloved States by any means, but the colors are litterally not as bright. The green here has more yellow in it, and the flowers have mroe white in them. Pure colors in the UK, blended colors here. Very interesting.
Also, people are strange here. We saw someone almost get crushed by a semi, and then at Subway there was an old woman who had her hair in curlers and in pins. I would have taken a picture, but discretion is not one of my strong points.
But, Jenny just called, and she has just landed. We are so excited for next week. She swims on Sunday, Monday, and, assuming she makes the finals of the 100m back, Tuesday night. She feels great, we feel nervous, and everything is going to be new and exciting. Man, I love the Olympics!

No comments: