Monday, June 16, 2008

Days 42-49

Well, it has been a few days.....ok, let's face it, it's been forever. I know you guys have been just crying your eyes out with anticipation over this, wondering where I was and what I was doing, and you weren't entirely sure if I were dead or alive or run away with a dashing British soldier. Alas to that last, I have not. Though I would not hesitate to do so if given the opportunity. Ok, so I am a little more picky than that, but still.....
Let me see if I can sum up what I have done. Last week we went to Oxford and Blenheim. Blenheim is the home of the 11th Earl of Marlborough, and was where Winston Churchill was born. Literally, I saw the room he was born in. I want to live in Blenheim. It is that cool. I love it.
Oxford University was awesome. So pretty and so old! We saw a couple of places where Harry Potter was filmed at Christ's Church College [basically, Oxford is the main univeristy with a bunch of college divisions, like our Schools of Technology and Family Sciences at home]. We saw the pub where J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis and their pals used to go. It was so great!
Thursday we went on a Jack the Ripper Tour of London. CREEPY!!! Seriously, he was such a sick psycho! We got all of the gory details about the murders and walked where the bodies were found and learned about the victims and.....ech! Halloween ain't gonna be the same anymore! But it was SOOOOOO cool!!!! Especially when we found the exact door where one of the pieces of evidence were found....
Then on Friday we went on a 9 mile country walk (HAH!) in Kent. It was BEAUTIFUL! There was so much to see and I loved every minute. Mom and Lori, there was a place we went in called the Hop Shop where they sold a bunch of country things, kinda like a Cracker Barrel store, only cooler. But there was a lot of lavender stuff, mostly because they GROW THEIR OWN! We saw fields and fields of lavender. Amazing. I also got to try lavender ice cream, which is not as disgusting as it sounds. It was actually pretty good and rather refreshing!
Saturday I went to see "Gone With The Wind" the musical, which was closing that night because of poor ticket sales. I was surprised and saddened at the end that it was closing, because it was actually really good! The man who played Rhett Butler was amazing.....and really attractive to boot. And I LOVED the girl who played Scarlett. So much better than stinky ol' Vivian Leigh. I actually liked Scarlett a little in this production. I hope you guys know what I am talking about, or else I am just rambling on and on, and you'll get really bored.
ANYWAY, after that we've just been getting ready to come home and studying (yes, I did, thank you very much) for finals. But now, as of this morning, my finals are OVER!!!! I am officially done with Brigham Young University. It's been a fun ride, but this was the highlight.
I'll post one more time before I head back to the States, and then my blog will be far less exciting, but I hope to not lose any of my audience. I think I can make my life at least SOUND exciting....ok, maybe not. But Jenny's Olympic Trials are coming in a week and a half, so watch for updates and pics on that! If you want to send messages of encouragement, write my parents at bagafans@juno.com.
Cheerio, mates!
The View of Blenheim from the park. See why I want to live there? Too bad the oldest single member to inherit is 14.....
Yeah.....I'm a dork. BUT these are the stairs from Harry Potter. Tell me you wouldn't be a dork, too. They really do lead to the Dining Hall, too!

THE GREAT HALL! No, really, it's the dining hall at Christ's Church College at Oxford, but it really is the Great Hall from the first two Harry Potter movies!

At the Eagle and Child pub in Oxford in the Rabbit Room, where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien ate and drank with their literary friends. Channelling greatness, here.

This was our Jack the Ripper Tour Guide named Adam. He was really funny!

One of the creepiest part of our Jack tour. East End of London, aka Hell of the 19th century. Not even kidding. Adam took us there and goes, "Let's all go to hell!" And it was a true statement!

Lovely little pasture we walked through in Kent.

So the guys who took us on the walk were really old, and they were brothers named Ron and George (not joking) and Ron asked me if I was brave enough to take my shoes and socks off and walk up the stream. Well, I couldn't let him think me a coward, so of course I took off my shoes and socks and did it. It was really cold and there were lots of rocks, but I did it! He was so proud.
Pretty...this was just like the rest of the walk. I love Kent!


Sigh, that was a really great show. I hope it comes to New York, cuz I want to go again!

No comments: