Monday, August 18, 2008

Growing Up

I've come to the realization that no matter how hard I try to deny it, I have become one of the things that I used to want to be but now fear.
I have become.... an ADULT!! [cue really creepy dramatic music and screaming female]
Yes, shocking though it is, I can no longer deny it.
Let us face facts:
1) I have completed high school. Granted, this is not technically a sign of maturation, but it is a mark of progression.
2) I have graduated from college. A rather momentous occasion, and most people start their lives at this point.
3) I no longer live at home. Debatable mark of adulthood, as some people still live at home due to circumstances beyond their control.
4) I am over the age of 21. The most promising mark other than college graduation, as according to all legal matters except that of car rental, I am considered an adult. This also means that I can legally drink...whoopee.
5) I have travelled abroad on my own. Not quite a mark of adulthood, but certainly a mark of refinement.
So, according to the facts, I can establish that I am such. Unfortunately, my brain is not quite so convinced of my new status. Why just today I got into a slap war with Dallin [the high school freshman whose basement I live in] and I think I won. I still grumble in the early morning hours, I still sneak candy whenever I can, I whisper loudly in the movie theater, and I don't sit still in church. Am I a hopeless cause, or just a late bloomer?
And for your enjoyment, I'm now going to compare my younger years with my more mature [PHST!] years. Enjoy the pictures, and draw your own conclusions.




Notice the size of the mouth. Hasn't changed with respect to the rest of the face. At least I'm not drooling on Sarah.




I think there's a reason why this first picture was taken before we made anything, i.e., Becky 16 years later without the Tupperware mat.




So I still like dressing up. I'm a stylin' person, people! Only difference is the first one was for church, and the second one was for the Oscar's party we had...

Ah, yes...costumes. The first one is obviously Halloween. And the second...15 years later...is not.
So, as you can see, I haven't changed much. Whether or not that is a good thing is still up for debate. I may be an adult in the most technical sense, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it! And heaven forbid I ever become MATURE! Yelch!
And as a side note, none of these older pictures were taken with the younger ones in mind. I was just lucky enough to find these on my computer in the last 20 minutes.
So, AM I a grown up? Do tell.

3 comments:

12345 said...

Becky, I think you're just a hopeless cause :) I don't want to "grow up" either...but I don't think I satisfy your "adult" qualifications yet, so I've got a little while before I have to officially start behaving like one....

Stephanie said...

wow. that wasn't halloween was it? "yeah, we just dress up like pirates on fridays when we've got nothing else to do." oh my, how true that actually is. love the blog btw!!

Shopkins said...

How fun!! I loved your pictures! thats great that you still pose the same way for many things. thats great! hope you are doing well!! you in OHIO yet?! well take care! love the blog